St. Brides Major, Southerndown and Ogmore-by-Sea Community Website     Home

COMMEMORATIVE & OTHER TREES, PLANTINGS,
ITEMS OF SPECIAL INTEREST, MEMORIALS

Photographs (where available) are beneath relevant explanatory paragraph.  Quick Links to:  

Sites within the Parish to be confirmed

Castle-upon-Alun Coed-y-Bwl 

Ogmore-by-Sea Ogmore Centre

St. Brides Major:     European Year of the Environment 1987-1988      General Thomas Picton     George VI Coronation     Mr. E. Hayden (first Headmaster)     Memorial for David Canning     Memorial for May Hollanby     Millennium     Old Castle Down (no images)     Prince Charles Investiture     Prince Charles & Lady Diana Spencer's Marriage     Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee     Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee     Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee (no images)     Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's 80th birthday     Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee     Wards of the Parish    

Southerndown (no images)

Monks Wood, Wick (no images)

Llantwit major Cwm Colhuw (no images)

CASTLE-UPON-ALUN     Back to top and quick links

Coed-y-Bwl  Flowers were planted in the early 19th century by Mrs. Nicholl of Merthyr Mawr Estate.  The area, known locally as Daffodil Wood, became a Glamorgan Naturalist Trust Reserve in 1970.  The Prince of Wales established an Award for contributors to the Welsh environment during the 1970 European Conservation Year.  Coed-y-Bwl Nature Reserve was one of 18 recipients of the Award in 1975 and at Monmouth in July of that year Prince Charles presented a plaque to mark the occasion.  Dutch elm disease was a major problem in the late 1970s and much conservation work was undertaken to preserve and protect the area.  In 2002 Glamorgan Wildlife Trust and West Wales Wildlife merged to become The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, which now manages the site.  Volunteers undertake coppicing, boundary wall repairs, clearing of fallen trees and branches and general maintenance.  Visit Welsh Wildlife website

This six acre reserve in the Alun Valley is part of an area designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and is an ancient broad-leaved woodland lying on limestone.  Consisting mainly of deciduous trees such as elm, ash and field maple, it is one of the few places where a strain of Welsh wild daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) also known as the Lent or Lenten lily still grows.  This variety, which flowers from late February to early April, has an orange trumpet and yellow petals.  Warm springs result in early flowering.  In spring there is a carpet of daffodils and bluebells, and many common woodland birds and animals can be seen.  During early summer it is a haven for butterflies among the woodland flowers.  In September several varieties of fungi can be found.  Guided walks are held on the annual open day when more than 250,000 Welsh daffodils can be seen blooming. 

Welsh daffodil and Tenby daffodil bulbs can be bought in garden centres.  The orange Tenby daffodil found in Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire, and South Pembrokeshire may be a cross between the Welsh daffodil and a wild continental variety, or was possibly brought to Wales by the Phoenicians or medieval monks.  Narcissus Cardiff was specially bred to commemorate Cardiff's 50 years as the capital of Wales in 2005 (which was also its centenary year as a city). 

Thanks to a £5,000 Lottery Award in 2012, a colour brochure was produced for and a new interpretation board made from local limestone.  At the annual open day on Sunday, 18th March, 2012, the board was unveiled by Murray McClaggan of Merthyr Mawr Estate.  Alun Cairns, Conservative MP for the Vale of Glamorgan, was also present. 

Along the coast near Llantwit Major is the 12 hectare site of Cwm Colhuw Nature Reserve (also managed by the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales) which consists of two fields of calcareous grassland, ash woodland and coastal scrub.  It hosts a variety of wildlife such as hedgehogs, slow worms, various birds such as linnet, whitethroat and bullfinch, as well as butterflies.  There is also a promontory fort on the cliffs.  

OGMORE-BY-SEA     Back to top and quick links

Golden Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 2002  In the grounds of the Ogmore Centre Trust a garden was constructed that incorporated a unique sundial. 

ST. BRIDES MAJOR      Back to top and quick links

Several groups of trees to commemorate various events have been planted on the common just outside the village.  For ease of finding their location they are noted as being either on the same side as, or on the opposite side to, Pant Quarry (although they are some distance from it) alongside the B4265. 

Departure of General Thomas Picton to the Battle of Waterloo in 1815  Same side as quarry alongside B4265Dowager Countess Caroline of Dunraven planted the lower group of chestnuts in memory of Sir Thomas Picton.  He had stayed at Tyn-y-Caeau Farm with his brother, Rev. Edward Picton (vicar of St. Brides) before leaving for the Battle during which he was killed.  General Picton had had a premonition that he would die so visited all his relatives, including Richard Turberville of Ewenny, before rejoining the army after Napoleonís escape from Elba.      

Planted to mark General Picton's departure for Waterloo in 1815   Sign to identify trees as those Planted to mark General Picton's departure for Waterloo in 1815   Planted to mark General Picton's departure for Waterloo in 1815

Back to top and quick links

In memory of Mr. E. Hayden, (Headmaster 1863-1870)  At junction of Heol-yr-Ysgol and The Schilly, near Church entrance.  Caroline, Countess of Dunraven, planted the tree outside the site (known locally as the Plantation) of the first school in the Parish in memory of Mr Hayden, the first Headmaster

Planted by Mr E Hayden, the first headmaster of St Brides School

Back to top and quick links

Diamond Jubilee of H.M. Queen Victoria in 1897  Opposite side to quarry alongside B4265, ie on your left just before cattle grid as you enter the village.*    

Planted to mark Diamond Jubilee of HM Queen Victoria in 1897                    Planted to mark Diamond Jubilee of HM Queen Victoria in 1897

Back to top and quick links

* Several diseased and/or dangerous trees had branches cut or were felled in March, 2004 and eight replacement standard oak, ash, beech and chestnut trees were planted.  The second phase of tree felling and pruning was carried out at the beginning of 2005.  Replacement hardwood standard trees were planted, and felled trunks/heavy branches were left on site as wildlife habitat. 

Coronation of H.M. King George VI (and Queen Elizabeth) on 12th May, 1937 in Westminster Abbey  Same side as quarry alongside B4265.*    

In December, 1937, 41 trees were planted by W. A. Williams, W. E. Powell, T. John, Rev. T. Watkins and Rev. J. Llewellyn-Croft.  They had been presented by the St. Brides Major Coronation Committee and were recorded in The Royal Book of Commemorative Tree Planting Throughout the British Empire and Part of the United States.

They must have been a wonderful sight, as they comprised: 20 white horse chestnut; six sycamore; four Norway maple; four red twigged lime; three red horse chestnut; two ash; two plane.  Most if not all of the original trees were destroyed by fire and replaced at a later date. 

Planted to mark 1937 Cornonation of HM King George VI   Sign to identify trees planted to mark 1937 Cornonation of HM King George VI   Planted to mark 1937 Coronation of HM King George VI

Back to top and quick links

Investiture of H.R.H. Prince Charles as Prince of Wales on 1st July, 1969  Same side as quarry alongside B4265, ie on your right as you approach the village.  In December, 1969, dignitaries and young people of the Parish planted 21 trees to mark the Investiture of the Prince at Caernarfon Castle and his 21st Birthday on 14th November, 1969.   Three of the trees (silver birch) represent the Parish Wards of St. Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea and Southerndown. 

The rotation of the planting was as follows: The Investiture Queen; her Attendant; Vicar; Chairman of Commons Committee; Duchy of Lancaster representative; Glamorgan County Councillor; Secretary of Investiture Committee; Clerk to the Parish Council; Ogmore-by-Sea Life Saving Club; Youth Club; Guides; Brownies; Scouts; Cubs; four school pupils; St. Brides Major Ward Councillor; Ogmore-by-Sea Ward Councillor; Southerndown Ward Councillor.   

Planted to mark Investiture of HRH Prince Charles and his 21st birthday in 1969   Sign to identify trees planted to mark Investiture of HRH Prince Charles 1969 and his 21st birthday   Planted to mark Investiture of HRH Prince Charles and his 21st birthday in 1969

Back to top and quick links

Silver Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 1977  School grounds.  St. Brides Major PTA planted a fir

Tree in school grounds planted to mark Silver Jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1977

Back to top and quick links

80th birthday of H.M. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on 4th August, 1980  Entrance gate to the plantation bought by St. Brides Major Council.  Schoolchildren planted various spring bulbs some years ago

Gate made to mark 80th birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1980   Sign on gate made to mark 80th birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1980   Plantation in spring

Back to top and quick links

Marriage of H.R.H. Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer at St. Paul's Cathedral on 29th July, 1981  Opposite side to quarry alongside B4265. Planted by the Community Council. 

Planted to mark 1981 marriage of HRH Prince Charles & Lady Diana Spencer   Sign to identify trees planted to mark 1981 marriage of HRH Prince Charles & Lady Diana Spencer   Planted to mark 1981 marriage of HRH Prince Charles & Lady Diana Spencer

Back to top and quick links

Wards of the Parish  By the War Memorial at the junction of Southerndown Road and Ewenny Road.  Three trees were planted to represent St. Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea, and Southerndown; two remain.  There are also three trees in St. Bridget's Churchyard (one flowering cherry by the North Gate and two copper beech by the North Wall) also representing the three Wards of the Parish. 

Silver birch planted to mark Wards of the Parish                    Silver birch planted to mark Wards of the Parish

Back to top and quick links

European Year of the Environment 1987-88  Same side as quarry alongside B4265.  These were purchased and planted thanks to co-operation between St. Brides Major Community Council, Ogmore Commoners Association, Ogwr Community Environmental Improvement Scheme and the EEC, County Council and Borough Council.  The slogan was "Working together for the common good" as detailed on the identification sign. 

Planted to mark 1987-88 European Year of the Environment   Sign to identify trees planted to mark 1987-88 European Year of the Environment   Planted to mark 1987-88 European Year of the Environment

Back to top and quick links

In memory of David Canning (1985-1991)  School grounds.  An Ornamental Cherry tree was planted near the school entrance that could be seen from the hall.  David, who lived in St. Brides Major and was a pupil at the school, died of meningitis at the age of six.

Ornamental Flowering Cherry planted in memory of David Canning   Memorial to David Channing 1985-1991   Ornamental Flowering Cherry planted in memory of David Canning

Back to top and quick links

Millennium  Same side as quarry alongside B4265.  Owing to the foot and mouth crisis and exceptionally bad weather, it was not until the end of 2001 that St. Brides Major Community Council were able to plant 11 trees to mark the year 2000.  Unfortunately, eight disappeared and one was partially uprooted, leaving only two to commemorate the Millennium.  It seemed a planned theft because the ties and stakes were taken too.  As the trees were donated, it made their loss even more disappointing.  However, the Community Council planted replacements in the Spring of 2002 and hopefully future generations will be able to enjoy these.

Planted to mark Millennium 2000                    Planted to mark Millennium 2000

Back to top and quick links

Old Castle Down Common, St. Brides Major  Work was undertaken in early 2005 under the approval of the Countryside Council for Wales and the Environmental Agency to cut back certain areas of bracken, brambles and scrub to provide suitable habitat for fritillary butterflies.  The specialist area with SSSI classification was provided to encourage the breeding of some of the less common butterflies of the United Kingdom. 

Back to top and quick links

St. Brides Major School Grounds  In 2005 an existing plinth was restored and a new sundial purchased and donated in memory of May Hollanby. 

In 2005 the plinth was repaired and a new sundial purchased and donated in memory of May Hollanby

Back to top and quick links

SOUTHERNDOWN     Back to top and quick links

Victorian walled gardens in Dunraven Park were restored by the Heritage Coast with on-going works.

Golden Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 2002  Members of Southerndown WI were hoping to plant yellow roses in the gardens of Dunraven Park in celebration of this event. 

MONKS WOOD, WICK     Back to top and quick links

In January, 2012 Monks Wood in Wick was damaged when horses trampled newly-planted trees and ate vegetation.  The Woodland Trust (Coed Cadw) held a tree-planting event on Saturday, 1st December, 2012 when more than 700 saplings were planted to replace those lost previously; the site was also upgraded to include a wooden bench and new entrance gates.  Vale of Glamorgan AM Jane Hutt, Andrew RT Davies and MP Alun Cairns and Chris Matts (manager of the site for the Woodland Trust) were in attendance and thanks were given to villages and local people as well as Cardiff-based SRK consultancy and Tarmac. 

SITE/S TO BE CONFIRMED     Back to top and quick links

Diamond Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in 2012  St. Brides Major Community Council put in a request to receive a batch of trees from The Woodland Trust, which it intended to split with Wick and Ewenny.  At nearby Wenvoe, a Jubilee woodland of 6,000 saplings (that included native trees such as field maple, oak alder and rowan) was planted thanks to funding from Glastir Woodland Creation Scheme, Tidy Towns and the Vale of Glamorgan Council with assistance from Coed Cadw, Woodland Trust.  Local volunteers, Vale MP Alun Cairns, Councillor Gwyn John of Llantwit Major and other councillors joined in with planting the final batch of saplings at the beginning of 2013.

On 3rd February, 2012 the Queen, joined by the Princess Royal, planted an oak in a new 20-acre Jubilee Wood on her Sandringham Estate.  The Woodland Trust arranged for 60 sites of (at least) 60-acre Diamond Woods to be established throughout the country as well as 250 smaller woods, as part of their goal to plant six million native trees in commemoration of Her Majesty's 60 years on the throne.  Guidance was given on the best type of tree for particular areas (eg coastal, inland) and soil conditions; the project was so successful that additional sites of at least 60 acres were created and landowners were sought for 25 Princess Woods for the years before Her Majesty became Queen.  After a year, The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Wood of 460 acres in the National Forest of Leicestershire, 60 Diamond Woods, 8 Princess Woods and over 400 woods of more than an acre had been created along with many smaller groups as well as people planting single trees in their gardens.  Princess Anne planted the six millionth tree (a cherry) at Ashburnham Community Primary School in south-west London on Wednesday, 27th March, 2013.  Visit Jubilee Woods website.  Visit Woodland Trust website

 

If you know of any trees or special plantings that you would like to be mentioned, please e-mail the Editor.  If you have photograph/s of them (or any of the above) we could use, even better.  If you know the varieties give yourself a pat on the back and let us know too!!!  

Back to top and quick links

 

About us & our site
Contact us
 
St Brides Major
 Southerndown
 Ogmore-by-Sea
 
 Latest News, Diary & Archive
Picture Galleries
History
Memories
Trees & Plantings
Arts,  Crafts  & Local Produce
 
Village School
Churches/ Chapels
Clubs/Groups  Organisations
Recycling &  Waste  Collection  Services
General  Information  and Links
Businesses
Community  Council
Police Surgery
Guest Book
Guest Map
Forum
Latest Virus news
 

Contributions to St. Brides Major, Southerndown and Ogmore-by-Sea web site are welcomed and may be sent via our Contact Us link or handed in to a member of staff in the Village Shop/Post Office in St. Brides Major, who have kindly agreed to pass them on.  Web site design and content including text, graphics, articles and photographs subject to copyright.  ©  Please remember mistakes can happen and there may be errors of which we are unaware; corrections, information and additional facts are gratefully received. 

The editors and owners of this web site reserve the right to remove, alter, or refuse to include, any link or contribution on this site, as they see fit.  Furthermore, they accept no responsibility in any way whatsoever for the content, accuracy or reliability of any other web sites mentioned or linked within these pages.  It is good practice to run anti-virus programme/s as well as to check sites, pages, and before downloading material; we cannot be held responsible for any losses or disruption to your computer, software, systems or data.